“DevOps is the next step in creating flow across and beyond the IT value stream.”
What is the value stream? All of the steps that are currently performed to deliver products and services to end-users and customers, whether they add value or not. Value stream mapping has been identified as a critical skill for organizations adopting a DevOps approach.
This course is focused on Value Stream Mapping specifically in a DevOps context. Participants will learn how to create current and future state value stream maps in DevOps environments, and how to use value stream maps as a vehicle of sustained DevOps continuous improvement. Participants also gain an understanding of where streamlining and automating core processes drive quality, lessen costs and mitigate risks to align business services with IT. This drives value and identifies and reduces non-value adding activities.
This DrillDown provides a practical understanding and hands-on experience with Value Stream Mapping. It was built in partnership with Mike Orzen, a recognized and prominent Lean thought leader and author.
This is a non-certification DrillDown workshop accredited by the DevOps Institute. DrillDowns provide deeper knowledge about a specific practice within the DevOps spectrum. DrillDowns are excellent add-ons to certifications such as DevOps Foundation or any of the DevOps Practitioner series skill-based certifications.
Attendees to Value Stream Mapping for DevOps will
- Learn about value stream mapping methods
- Understand how value stream mapping applies to DevOps
- Learn to value stream map by doing
- Be aware of common mistakes when using value stream mapping
- Be equipped with a tool they can apply now
The target audience for the Value Stream Mapping for DevOps course are professionals including:
- Anyone involved in defining a DevOps strategy and program
- Developers and Operational staff
- IT Managers and Team Leaders
- Project Managers
- Continuous Delivery Architects
- IT Practitioners and Change Agents
- Agile, Lean, ITSM and Organizational Change coaches
- Security professionals
- Business stakeholders
- DevOps Consultants
- Sixteen (16) hours of instructor-led training and exercise facilitation
- Participation in exercises designed to apply and practice Value Stream Mapping
- Sample documents, templates, tools and techniques
- Access to additional reference sources
There are no prerequisites to attending Value Stream Mapping for DevOps.
- Learning Value Stream Mapping Methods
- Understanding how Value Stream Mapping applies to DevOps
- Learning to Value Stream Map by doing
- Being aware of common mistakes when using Value Stream Mapping
- Lean IT/DevOps Refresher
- Why Value Stream Mapping for DevOps?
- Introductory Concepts
- IT SIPOC Case Study
- Current State Value Stream Mapping
- Current State VSM Case Study
- Barriers to Flow
- Breaking the Barrier of Flow
- Future State Value Stream Mapping
- Future State VSM Case Study
- Reports Outs and Feedback
- Leveraging VSM to Drive DevOps
- Developing a Plan of Action
- Common Mistakes and Hazards